Down Under School of Yoga believes that art of assisting is a craft in its own right. While a teacher uses words and imagery to guide students, a gifted assistant can translate those words into action, teaching the students through touch. In Iyengar classes, assistants may adjust the alignment of students’ poses or work with particular individuals needing therapeutic or special attention. In Vinyasa and Ashtanga classes, an assistant might move quietly through the room translating the teacher’s instructions into physical form, offering corrective and deepening adjustments that enhance the students’ understanding of each pose. The guidance of a good assistant can be profound and students often express great appreciation for the steady presence of an assistant week after week. It is a deeply rewarding role, a form of seva (sacred service).
Meet the Assisting Faculty
Interested in Becoming an Assistant?
Down Under School of Yoga’s three part Assistant Training Program is the most comprehensive of its kind on the East Coast. Read the outline of steps below to learn the art of yoga assisting or deepening your training and adjusting skills at Down Under.
PHASE 1: THE ART OF ASSISTING IMMERSION WEEKEND
- In the Art of Assisting Immersion Weekend, you will have the opportunity to learn corrective, supportive deepening and directional assists for a diverse range of poses. You will learn the foundational skills of "reading" bodies and assisting students with confidence. The Art of Assisting Immersion weekend is offered five times annually: February, April, June, October and November.
PHASE 2: REFINING YOUR SKILLS
- In Phase 2 of the Assisting Program, you will work with the assisting faculty during four Friday night sessions to build upon and refine the assisting skills learned in the Art of Assisting Immersion Weekend.
- In addition to the four Friday nights, assisting trainees attend weekly partner practice sessions, working with fellow trainees to hone their skills during public classes.
PHASE 3: PREPARING FOR THE FLOOR
- After completing a successful audition, you will be paired with a senior assistant to serve as your mentor. The mentor will offer you guidance and feedback during weekly classes to further refine your assisting skills. When you are ready, you will be placed as an assistant in a weekly class.
Assisting at Down Under
Upon completing the Down Under Assisting training program, a successful audition and mentorship, assistants will be placed in an appropriate class where they will assist on a weekly basis.
- Assistants help with the flow of the studio between classes and become a part of the community of the weekly class they assist.
- Assistants are expected to commit to working with the same class and teacher for a minimum of one year.
- Assistants receive one free class at the studio for each class assisted.
If you have questions or are interested in learning more email Einat at firstname.lastname@example.org