This Ashtanga training program is an opportunity to fully commit to, stabilize and refine your personal practice and to deeply experience and understand the science and spirit of the traditional Ashtanga Yoga system. Yoga Chikitsa, the Primary Series, is a therapeutic combination of asana, vinyasa, bandha and drishti (posture, breath/movement coordination, awareness of the subtle energetic centers and gazing points). The Ashtanga training will cover the following methodologies of the Ashtanga yoga system as taught by Sri K Pattabhi Jois and R Sharath Jois:
- Beneficial performance of the primary series asana and vinyasa, as well as modifications for safety.
- Correct pronunciation, memorization, and rhythm of vinyasa counting and Sanskrit names of the primary asana.
- Dynamics of breath and bandha.
- The purpose and practice of hands-on assists.
- Students must maintain a personal practice in the Mysore room, minimum 4 days per week.
- Out of town students must keep a practice log and present this during the training.
- Participation in this training requires permission of the instructor. Please contact Kate.
- Expect homework, reading and writing assignments.
Learn more about the Ashtanga Training
This is not a teacher training. One can become an authorized Ashtanga yoga teacher only through study with R Sharath Jois at the K. Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Yoga Institute in Mysore, India. This in-depth Ashtanga training program is meant to deepen and hone your personal practice, the foundation of yoga teaching. Kate O’Donnell has made over 10 extended trips to Mysore over 15 years, and has been a Level 2 Authorized Ashtanga teacher since 2007. Cost: $185