The Heart of Iyengar Yoga Program begins with steeping oneself in the practice and study of yoga. Students must already be seasoned Iyengar students, with at least two full years of regular Iyengar Yoga practice. Students must have the maturity and desire for in-depth study, involving both class time and outside of class homework and projects. Participation in additional workshops or classes in anatomy, philosophy, and/or Sanskrit may be required during the program. Student requirements during the program:
- Attend a weekly Asana class with Peentz Dubble during the Program.
- Attend selected workshops with Peentz Dubble and/or other Iyengar Yoga teachers.
- Maintain a home practice of Asana and Pranayama.
- Attendance required at all Heart of Iyengar Yoga monthly meetings.
- Complete all homework assignments on time.
- Recommended participation in monthly Philosophy Discussions.
- Membership in Iyengar Yoga Association of New England (IYANE)
- The second year of the program will begin to integrate the art of teaching.
- Students will learn how to develop the skills needed to translate to beginning students what they understand in their own bodies through practice. This involves learning how to demonstrate and instruct, develop a voice that can speak with knowledge and clarity, develop skills of observation and adjustment, and learn how to design basic beginning classes and sequence asanas for specific needs. Students will be expected to develop a working understanding of yoga philosophy and sutra study, Sanskrit pronunciation, and basic anatomy. Students will deepen their understanding of Iyengar Yoga by reading and studying selected books written by B.K.S. Iyengar and Geeta Iyengar.
Required Reading and Texts:
- Light on Yoga, B.K.S. Iyengar
- Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, B.K.S. Iyengar
- Light on Life, B.K.S. Iyengar
- Yoga, A Preliminary Course, Geeta Iyengar
- Yoga, A Gem for Women, Geeta Iyengar